Sunday, February 10, 2019

Ten Things That Make Me Happy

1. Springtime - Every year, starting in mid-March, I start keeping an eye out for the first budding leaves of the season. Here, in upstate New York, that never happens until late April or May. But I can't help myself. I stare at the same tree branches on my way to and from classes until the day that some green returns to Potsdam. The life returning to the world just fills me with rapture, and I want to spend all of my time outside enjoying the warmth.
2. Having long chats with my friends - Sometimes, that means sitting in the living room with my housemates as we sing showtunes and talk about crazy schemes to get a tiger (we're not allowed domesticated pets in our house, but our lease said nothing about undomesticated pets). Others, it means chatting on the phone with my long distance friends, or just long streams of text messages in a group chat. I love being close to my friends.
3. Traveling with friends - I spent many years growing up traveling around with my family. I've been very lucky to see all that I have. Still, the first time that I traveled with a friend of mine to Berlin for a weekend, I quickly realized that traveling in small groups with friends gives me the freedom to choose what it is I want to do and create my own itinerary. So as much as I love visiting places with my entire family, I'm excited to travel more with my friends as adulthood stretches on.
4. Plants - I want to be a plant mother! Unfortunately, my rooms in both houses - my apartment at school and my parents' house - lack sufficient amounts of sunlight to raise plants. Someday, I'll have a whole family!
5. Harmonizing showtunes with my housemates - Singing showtunes alone just isn't the same as our duet lists with specific roles. I usually end up singing guys' parts because I'm not a soprano. But that's okay! It helps me learn to harmonize, something I need to get better at.
6. When the time on the clock matches - I use the 24-hour clock, so times like 11:11 or 00:00 (midnight) only happen once a day!
7. Funky socks - After getting twelve pairs of Harry Potter related socks for Christmas, I'm now determined to collect as many unique pairs of socks as possible.
8. Classic literature - Frankenstein, Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy plenty of books from modern times, but I definitely also hold a great love of classics. There's a reason I almost studied English in college.
9. The sky - The sky changes even more often than I do, but there's always beauty to it. Somehow, I've seen the Golden Hour hundreds if not thousands of times, and yet it still makes me catch my breath every time I see the golden glow reflecting off the trees.
10. Playing music - I can really struggle with expressing myself emotionally through words. There are days that I can't find any way to describe how I'm feeling. But music is able to transcend that. Whether it's simple chords on a ukulele, a piece on piano, or an etude on saxophone, I love days when playing is easy and I can connect with what I'm playing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment